HSBC bank to close in Luxor.

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

HSBC bank to close in Luxor.

Post by Dusak »

Its a good job I nipped into the bank this morning to pay for my new lap top in £ to save using the Le I had in the house as they told me that the bank will close its doors on the 27th of September. As if things could not get any worse for me here as I need Stirling for when I travel out of the country. The nearest one is in Hurghada, which they say will still operate my account, but its a long trip, even though I would only need it once a year. They said that I could have a direct debit card, but that only pays out in Le, so of no use to me.

So this means that I have to contact my pension provider in the UK via letter when I have chosen a new bank and set up the account. Went into the bank of Cairo to see what was needed, copies of all my ownership papers, no problem, copy of my passport, again no problem, but they need a visa with at least three months stamp in it, big problem as I only have three weeks left before I have to start all the visa rigmarole again. It never rains but it pours. But at least I got my new computer and six large bags of Planters dry roasted pea nuts. :up

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Re: HSBC bank to close in Luxor.

Post by hatusu »

Thanks for this info Dusak. I wonder if, as an account holder at this branch, they might get around to sending me an email or sms informing me of their closure within the next 28 days?
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

hatusu wrote:Thanks for this info Dusak. I wonder if, as an account holder at this branch, they might get around to sending me an email or sms informing me of their closure within the next 28 days?
Of course you will get an email the first week of October.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Bank of Cairo, Dusak when I went in they said they needed a utility bill from the UK in my name. They didn't ask you for that?
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

Why a utility bill from UK, a utility bill from Egypt should be fine with living in Luxor.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I suggest you go to the bank and ask. I am unfortunately not in a position to make the rules.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Dusak wrote:Its a good job I nipped into the bank this morning to pay for my new lap top in £ to save using the Le I had in the house as they told me that the bank will close its doors on the 27th of September. As if things could not get any worse for me here as I need Stirling for when I travel out of the country. The nearest one is in Hurghada, which they say will still operate my account, but its a long trip, even though I would only need it once a year. They said that I could have a direct debit card, but that only pays out in Le, so of no use to me.

So this means that I have to contact my pension provider in the UK via letter when I have chosen a new bank and set up the account. Went into the bank of Cairo to see what was needed, copies of all my ownership papers, no problem, copy of my passport, again no problem, but they need a visa with at least three months stamp in it, big problem as I only have three weeks left before I have to start all the visa rigmarole again. It never rains but it pours. But at least I got my new computer and six large bags of Planters dry roasted pea nuts. :up
I presume though that you no longer fly out of Luxor, so Cairo or Hurgharda is where you will fly from anyway. Just allow plenty of time to visit the HSBC in one of those 2 places before you get to the Airport ?

When banks start pulling out of places, you know the rot has really set in, and they have given up hope of any resurrection.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:Bank of Cairo, Dusak when I went in they said they needed a utility bill from the UK in my name. They didn't ask you for that?
The rigmarole for a foreigner opening a bank account has definitely got worse in recent years, especially if you don't have formal residency....which, of course, few of us do.

The requirements vary from bank to bank; from branch to branch even in the same bank; and, it wouldn't surprise me, from one officer to another within that branch.

Even if you had a UK utility bill, it's possible another requirement would have been dredged up. Your bra size perhaps?

I found it easy to open an account here (in Hurghada) 10 years ago. The fact that the assistant manager was a member of my "Egyptian family" probably helped! But after he was moved to a Cairo branch.....nothing but hassle. I stopped using the account over 5 years ago and just bring sterling on one of my regular trips to UK. The sterling is kept under my cat's litter tray if anyone's interested.

It's a lot easier to keep an existing Egyptian account alive, rather than open a new one....but it's obviously a problem for Dusak if HSBC are closing their Luxor branch.

What an odd move.....although stranger things happen hereabouts :lol:
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX »

Bombay wrote:
hatusu wrote:Thanks for this info Dusak. I wonder if, as an account holder at this branch, they might get around to sending me an email or sms informing me of their closure within the next 28 days?
Of course you will get an email the first week of October.
Yes, it would be useful to have known that. We return at the beginning of October so will have no chance to deal with it :x

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

carrie wrote:Bank of Cairo, Dusak when I went in they said they needed a utility bill from the UK in my name. They didn't ask you for that?
No, although they said a currant electricity bill in my name would be OK. Having thought about it, this is what I'm going to do, but time wise its going to be a bit of a tight one. My UK private pension goes in on the 20th every month, so I'm going back into the bank and tell them that I will be there on the 24'25th to make certain that my pension has gone in. Then I will close the account and keep back some to use the next time out. I will go into the bank that my friend and tenant uses, and open an account with them with the surplus £. When I have the details of the new account, I will give the letter of change that I need to send over to the UK with my friends that are here for a week past that date to post over there. The only possible spanner in the works is what little visa time I have on my passport.

By the sad looks on all their faces, I think that quite possibly they had only just been told themselves. My problems with this are not insurmountable, buy they will have to move around the country, leaving their homes and families behind if they want to keep these relatively well paid jobs, as explained to me by my counter friend.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by BBLUX »

It's very sad for them all. We were their first Premier account when they opened and we got to know most of the staff over the years. I know several of them spent time in the UK receiving full international Premier training and had expected to have a good job for many years more.

I guess it's back to the lumpy mattress for the future :lol:

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

BBLUX wrote:It's very sad for them all. We were their first Premier account when they opened and we got to know most of the staff over the years. I know several of them spent time in the UK receiving full international Premier training and had expected to have a good job for many years more.

I guess it's back to the lumpy mattress for the future :lol:
And I'm very sad to pee on your parade BBLUX. My wife and I were the first customers to open an account there. We went in with £35,000 in cash on the opening day, but it had been delayed as the computers had not been connected on time. Nothing new there then. :lol: We were told to come back at nine thirty am the next day which we did. A relief for me as I had been carrying this wad around for three days. Our premier card number began with 02, the bank having the 01. When ever we went in we were greeted by ''our first customers.'' It really peed me off when about a year later the cards kept acting up when put in the cash machine outside. We had to renew them three times until eventually we ended up re kick starting the account from scratch so lost our coveted first customer number. PS. We both received a cup of coffee and and a presentation Biro for being the first customer, but to be fair, I think every one got a coffee going on the amount of best china laid out. :ct
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by BBLUX »

Not trying to one up you or anything but our account was opened from the UK using international clearing before they were officially open. Completion in Luxor was delayed because as you say they did not have computer or internet access...and their fax line had yet to installed! So, we had to go in when we arrived with hard copy of everything from the UK.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Worst bank in Luxor, their machine stole my card. When I went in they said it was because they had instructions from my bank to hold on to my card. Phoned my bank in the UK they knew nothing about it. Went to HSBC again next day told them what my bank had said, this time the excuse was that I had put my pin number in more than 3 times incorrectly, I hadn't I demanded to see the roll that they keep from the machine showing transaction, she did eventually get it and showed it too me, look all these times you used the machine. Refused to let me look at it properly. I snatched it off her, the roll showed that I had put in the card, then the pin number, then the prefered language, then the amount, then the account type. Then it took my card. They wouldn't return it and it caused me one hell of a lot of trouble getting a replacement from the UK. The staff were rude and I for one am very very happy they have lost their jobs. :lol:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Similar thing happened to one of my cards, machine kept, they stated after investigating it a few minutes later that my card had had a 'hot' order placed on it, so I had to stand there as the cut it up in pieces. Lots of time wasted getting it replaced from the UK. But at least it was the fault of the HSBC in the UK, they had forgot that we had given them the dates that the card would be used in Egypt, so had presumed that it had been stolen. Personally, I would of picked a better place than Egypt to use a stolen card. :lol:
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

I have closed my account now, but 4 days to go and I have still received no official advice from this bank that they are due to close, unlike the literally dozens of emails and sms's I used to get, starting 3 months in advance, that I needed to go and show them an uptodate visa. Even when I went in to close my account, I had to ask if it was true they were closing, no-one volunteered the information. If it wasnt for this forum, I dont think I would have found out in time. Thank you Dusak.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I too have wondered why they seem to be keeping so tight lipped about it.
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

My husband received a letter in the post yesterday, the 2nd October, informing him that his HSBC branch was going to close on 27 September.
Me - Im still waiting for my letter/email/sms/carrier pigeon..............
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Egypt was the creator of the 'snail mail.'