The new covid variant may be in Egypt

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

The new covid variant may be in Egypt

Post by newcastle »

This is potentially alarming.
20D9FA11-B6C3-4753-9DEA-94B7EA7D5068.jpeg
As we know, Egypt carries out very little testing so it’s unlikely to be found there....but will UK and other countries be as relaxed as they are now with tourists returning from Egypt?

Quite a few get “pinged” after someone on their returning flight tested positive...so I guess they’ll be sequencing resulting tests very carefully from now on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Re: The new covid variant may be in Egypt

Post by crewmeal »

I wonder if Egyptair will cancel flights to South Africa with immediate effect like the rest of the world?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

crewmeal wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:19 am I wonder if Egyptair will cancel flights to South Africa with immediate effect like the rest of the world?
Probably not....although they should do.

Moreover, they should insist on a PCR test for all arrivals from there, whether or not vaccinated and whether or not they had a pre- flight test,....and quarantine them until the results come through.

Apparently, a couple of the arrivals at Schiphol this morning from South Africa tested positive for covid.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

crewmeal wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:19 am I wonder if Egyptair will cancel flights to South Africa with immediate effect like the rest of the world?
Perhaps Egypt has a spy on this forum :lol:

“Egypt Bans Flights from Seven African Countries Over New COVID-19 Variant“

https://egyptianstreets.com/2021/11/27/ ... efpSkffvGE
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Not me Gov!!!±!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

South Africa seems well p*ssed off with the rapidity their country was put on the Red List equivalent of many countries.

I can understand their point.....there’s really no evidence yet that this omicron variant is more transmissible, more dangerous or more vaccine-resistant than previous variants of concern.

But I can understand the attitude of other countries whose politicians have to answer to the public....and would be heavily criticised for any delay IF the new variant turns out to represent a danger. The cost of the ban is, for them, negligible.

For the likes of South Africa, Botswana etc., particularly at this time of the year, it’s an economic tragedy.

Although the variant was first detected In South Africa, there’s little doubt that it’s already present in most countries.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

What you have said contradicts the news we had in the UK. But that's the news for you, they say what they want in cleverly constructed statements and make up what they do t know, or have been told to tell you.

The south Africans feel they are being punished for identifying this new strain, and already the bandwagon is being loaded with the usual statements that this strain is more transmissible and more likely effect the young etc.

Hard to imagine this would still be going on 2 years down the road, and yet we have greater technology and understanding than we did 100 years ago..
The only factor that works against us is that we can travel further and faster these days, but that was down to governments to limit that ability, which they failed miserably at doing. Especially when that Indian variant was announced.

It's almost like they want to keep this **** show going for as long as possible.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

@John Landon

I don’t know what UK news you read, watch or listen to but I haven’t heard anyone - any expert that is - claiming that there’s CURRENT evidence that the omicron variant is more dangerous etc etc.

They THINK....they ARE CONCERNED...that , because of the 40+ mutations to the surface proteins that it MIGHT be more transmissible, and able to evade the antibodies generated by current vaccines.

It’s far too soon to measure, from actual infected people, whether these concerns are valid. It was only identified in Mid November from a sample taken 9th November. Read the WHO report...they say nothing about closing borders.

https://www.who.int/news/item/26-11-202 ... of-concern
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Exactly why people shouldn't watch the BBC news like I did last night. That was my source,

It was all complete ********.

As I said. What they don't know they will make up. 😎
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I watch the BBC constantly....getting my money’s worth for the licence fee :lol:

Their reporters seem desperate to play up the “ doom & gloom” scenario....but if you listen carefully to what the epidemiologists actually say, it’s obviously far too early to jump to conclusions.

I gather there’s already UK cases...linked to an arrival from South Africa...and the usual suspects will be adding fuel to the fire in a Downing Street broadcast later this afternoon.

I’m off to Egypt after New Year....flights permitting :(