P.M.,......for GRANDAD.

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

P.M.,......for GRANDAD.

Post by A-Four »

I always enjoyed reading yours and other people's posts on E4U. I read your recent post there, but as I looked today, there is still no response, that is quite sad to learn those other interesting people no longer post there.(As you may know, I am no longer a member of that site.)

I know sometimes you look in on this site, and for reasons as you have expressed you no longer post here, though let me say, although I have never met you, I always found your comments interesting, knowledgable and informative.

Just to let you know, I certainly wish and your family all the best for the coming New Year.

A-Four.

Grandad

Re: P.M.,......for GRANDAD.

Post by Grandad »

Thank you for those kind words A-Four and my very best wishes to you for good health and prosperity in 2022.
I have been a member on these forums for 16 years. At that time we were visiting Egypt 2 or 3 times a year. Sadly our last visit was in 2013. Back in the day there was much discussion about things happening in Egypt, places to eat and lots of advice for those with questions about a forthcoming visit.
I also enjoyed the various competitions that we had, photography, poetry, stories etc and all those members who are no longer with us.
I have done a fair bit of family history stuff and am waiting for the release of the 1921 census next week to fill in a few more recent gaps. Like many people, I regret not talking to my parents about their early life and their memories of grandparents ertc. To that end I am in the process of writing my own memoir. A sort of life autobiography that I hope to have printed as a book with pictures for my family of the future.
As for family, I am now in my 88th year and have a first great grandchild. Very proud about that but unfortunately the little lad just 5 months old was diagnosed with Covid on Monday. A day in hospital under observation then home with some medication so I am sure he will be OK.
I am waffling as is my way but let me extend my Best Wishes To All members for good health and good fortune in 2022.
Grandad John
Grandad :gg:
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Grandad wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:21 pm I have done a fair bit of family history stuff and am waiting for the release of the 1921 census next week to fill in a few more recent gaps. Like many people, I regret not talking to my parents about their early life and their memories of grandparents ertc.
I was talking to a member of my family about your statement above, who has informed me that the above information, that like you he is also awaiting with great interest such news, says that it will be released to Findmypast on 6th January. For some reason he cancelled his subscription to Ancestry because of its short comings.

P.S. You probably know the above info but, just in case. All the best for the New Year and your research.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

@A-Four
Yes I read a bit about the new release of 1921 census. Apparently Findmypast is associated with the National Archive. I found a few facts, interesting and annoying, about the census.
The actual census forms are filed at the NA in 31,000 volumes which occupy 1.5km (about a mile) of shelf space. Intererstin!
The records are not likely to be released to other genealogy sites for about 3 years. Meanwhile anyone can request access to records, £2.50 for an online transcript or £3.50 for online view of an original record. Annoying!
But it has taken 5 years for the records to be digitally copied and transcribed so there has been an enormous cost involved.Coincidentally I got an email today from Ancestry offering a years premium membership for half price. I usually just buy a month or so as and when so this looks a good deal. :up
Grandad :gg: