More wokism

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

More wokism

Post by hatusu »

"Bristol University demands recognition for people who identify as FELINES"

Beam me up Scottie ...............

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: More wokism

Post by newcastle »

That’ll please a couple of Luxor ladies I know. :ct

Seriously…..they are taking the puss.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

Just send them down!
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

I like felines 😃

Got to be better than this woke person complaining about what's written on kids clothes FFS.

The guys in Egypt wear clothes with English writing on them, the majority don't know what it says but like the design etc, I told a lad once about his Tshirt that had big letters "Gay and proud" ( probably given to him by a tourist) he was not bothered, he liked the colours 😃

I've seen some really funny writings on some of the tshirts there, but they don't care if you tell them. 😃

Primark accused of selling 'hugely sexist' kids clothes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60290232
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

DJKeefy wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:33 pm I like felines 😃
So do I….but there are distinct disadvantages to identifying as a feline.

For example….it’s the end of free healthcare.

Except when they cart you off to ACE ,or some similar charity, to have your testicles removed 8)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

DJKeefy wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:33 pm

Got to be better than this woke person complaining about what's written on kids clothes FFS.

The guys in Egypt wear clothes with English writing on them, the majority don't know what it says but like the design etc, I told a lad once about his Tshirt that had big letters "Gay and proud" ( probably given to him by a tourist) he was not bothered, he liked the colours 😃

I've seen some really funny writings on some of the tshirts there, but they don't care if you tell them. 😃

Primark accused of selling 'hugely sexist' kids clothes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60290232
Not really in the realm of “ wokism”…..but there’s one area, in Egypt, in which it is sensible to be aware of what is written on your shirt.

Anything political ( revolution, torture, etc) or defamatory ( against president, army or police ) is likely to end up with you being arrested.

I remember the case of an Egyptian lad who was jailed for nearly two years ( without trial) before being released ( without charge) for wearing a shirt saying “Down With Torture”.

As regards “ inappropriate “ wording, I’ve seen the most horrendous and obscene so- called joke shirts worn by Egyptian kids…..presumably given to them by tourists who thought it funny to give a kid something they wouldn’t have their own children wear in UK.

“F*CK YOU” is one of the more innocent ones.

Lucky for the kid that most Egyptian policemen can’t read English.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Teddyboy wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:50 pm Just send them down!
That’s a bit cruel.

I’d suggest spaying and castration so they can’t breed and promulgate their weird delusions.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

"That’s a bit cruel."

I don't think so. They're enoying the privilege of attending a university and benefitting from an advanced education, yes? But how can their supposed increased capabilities be of any benefit to their society if they think that they're cats, with a cats sense of responsibility? They're wasting Public resources which could be used to far greater effect elsewhere. Unbeknown to our woke lefty friends, our government does not have a bottomless pit of funds, it takes money from those of us who actually do some work!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Teddyboy wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:30 pm "That’s a bit cruel."

I don't think so. They're enoying the privilege of attending a university and benefitting from an advanced education, yes? But how can their supposed increased capabilities be of any benefit to their society if they think that they're cats, with a cats sense of responsibility? They're wasting Public resources which could be used to far greater effect elsewhere. Unbeknown to our woke lefty friends, our government does not have a bottomless pit of funds, it takes money from those of us who actually do some work!
You really mustn’t take my posts so seriously :lol:

I enjoyed my three years at university and came across many whose attendance was an obvious waste of resources! Not many felines, I admit, but a fair selection of upper class twits, some of whom probably went on to infest our civil service and cause untold misery to millions.

If I recall….and memory does fade after half a century….one’s university years were beset with indecision and uncertainty as to the future direction of one’s life. Hopefully, one emerged with a degree of some use, and a general broadening of the mind.

Never met any latent pussies…but, then I was there before my college admitted females. :ct
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Well, to be honest (or should I say TBH), I am having difficulty with this word 'Woke', what it means and when to use it? I have always thought that the English language is rich enough in its words of expression without the need for slang, multi meaning words, that have now found their way into the language. I think multi media has a lot to answer for. :(

PS. Sorry that I always post in large type but I am now certified 'severely visually inpaired'. Something else wearing out as time passes. ;)
Grandad :gg:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Woke…….

adjectiveINFORMAL•US
adjective: woke; comparative adjective: woker; superlative adjective: wokest
alert to injustice in society, especially racism.
"we need to stay angry, and stay woke"

Fine….what’s wrong with being alert to injustice etc? Unfortunately, like some other words in the English language ( e.g. gay), it has taken on a pejorative sense and is often used to denigrate the left generally or supporters of liberalism, humanitarianism etc.

“Among American conservatives, woke has come to be used primarily as an insult. In this pejorative sense, woke means "following an intolerant and moralising ideology." British journalist Steven Poole comments that the term is used to mock "overrighteous liberalism". Romano says that on the American right, "'woke' – like its cousin 'canceled' – bespeaks 'political correctness' gone awry".”
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

@newcastle
Well, thanks for that detailed explanation Newcastle but I must confess to being none the wiser. I think I will stick to good old English to avoid using 'woke' incorrectly and causing offence to the Left or the Right.... :)
Newcastle I think your explanation is intellectual but not really fitting the occasions that I hear the word used. It seems to be mostly used as a slang word, probably more by the black community, but in my view just an all embracing word for words like 'awake' and 'aware'. Maybe I am wrong????
Last edited by Grandad on Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grandad :gg:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

@Grandad

Put it this way…..I’ve always regarded myself as “woke”…but generally despise those who accuse me of being “woke”.

That probably doesn’t help…… :lol: