Russia

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Russia

Post by hatusu »

What are Egypt's relations with Russia like?

Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Re: Russia

Post by Teddyboy »

I knew an ancient Russian woman who was having relations with a young Egyptian man; and they seemed to be relatively OK!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Teddyboy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:53 am I knew an ancient Russian woman who was having relations with a young Egyptian man; and they seemed to be relatively OK!
I think the word your looking for is…. “copulatory” 8)

Or possibly “Ugandan”.
Spoiler
Private Eye readers will know what I mean :lol:
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

That rag? My son used to post it out to me when we first moved here. But, because it was deemed to be seditious, (I believe) it never made it past the censors in Cairo!
I imagine that Hislop et al would be hugely gratified at the thought.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Teddyboy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:09 pm That rag? My son used to post it out to me when we first moved here. But, because it was deemed to be seditious, (I believe) it never made it past the censors in Cairo!
I imagine that Hislop et al would be hugely gratified at the thought.

“Rag” ?? How very dare you! :lol:

Considering the available MSM and tabloids, I regard Private Eye as one of few remaining sources of ( reasonably) accurate information on what is really going on in the world.

Their Feb cover is particularly apposite.
A236DFCF-7474-4E1D-A40B-4830AC640AD9.jpeg
Woke up this morning to news that poor Russia - fearing imminent invasion from their neighbour Ukraine - had decided to launch a military operation designed solely to deter Ukraine’s aggression and return it to the warm embrace of the motherland……which all right- thinking Ukrainians would support wholeheartedly.

Yeah right! :lol:

The outraged West can be counted on to impose the severest sanctions on Russia and may even go as far as cancelling the UEFA cup final due to be held in St Petersburg.

Hopefully any such drastic measures can be avoided if Putin apologises and orders the immediate return of Russian troops from Ukraine…..which they haven’t entered anyway…of course.

Fears of gas & oil shortages, and Europe freezing to death, are completely exaggerated. There’s enough hot air emanating from the UN and assorted world capitals to keep the planet warm for decades.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

I've been a great fan of the Eye since its inception, but only took out a subscription because it seemed like a good Christmas box for our son, about 20 years ago, and have kept it up ever since. Mind, I am (very occasionally) tempted to write that I'm cancelling my subscription in protest at something which has particularly offended! But it's not all that often.
I do miss some of the old and long-gone writers, though.
I imagine that it would give Brother Putin a good laugh now and then, eh?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

hatusu wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:25 am What are Egypt's relations with Russia like?
Returning to hatusu’s original post….Egypt has normal relationships with both countries, but will be skewered by the consequences of the war now breaking out.

Egypt receives most of its wheat from the Russia & Ukraine….ironic when you consider Egypt was the breadbasket of the Roman empire.

Moreover, the bulk of the Red Sea tourists come from those two countries.

The effect on tourism will be immediate. The wheat issue less so….but, apart from the protagonists themselves, Egypt has perhaps the greatest reason be alarmed by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

https://english.ahram.org.eg/News/461661.aspx
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Teddyboy wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:19 am I Mind, I am (very occasionally) tempted to write that I'm cancelling my subscription in protest at something which has particularly offended! But it's not all that often.

I imagine that it would give Brother Putin a good laugh now and then, eh?
Go for it! :lol:

I look forward to reading some vitriol from “ Mr. Angry of Luxor”
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Pondering on todays events in Ukraine leads me to try to anticipate what Putins next move might be. I am sure he has some big plan but what does that invole?
This year marks the centenary of the formation of the USSR. Could he have some twisted plan to re-establish that union. Some of the smaller former states of the union have concerns about that possibility. OR, has he got designs on Europe? Heaven forbid what kind of war that would be.
Just my thoughts on a miserable and rainy day. Any views anyone?
Grandad :gg:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Grandad wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:07 pm Pondering on todays events in Ukraine leads me to try to anticipate what Putins next move might be. I am sure he has some big plan but what does that invole?
This year marks the centenary of the formation of the USSR. Could he have some twisted plan to re-establish that union. Some of the smaller former states of the union have concerns about that possibility. OR, has he got designs on Europe? Heaven forbid what kind of war that would be.
Just my thoughts on a miserable and rainy day. Any views anyone?
Putin has always considered that the fall of the USSR was a disaster….and this is his attempt to resurrect it. Much of Russia is already surrounded by compliant autocracies…the “…stans”…. and Ukraine represented a gap. A gap which would become permanent if it were allowed to join NATO.

Although there was no prospect of Ukraine being admitted anytime soon, Putin has decided to put an end to their aspirations and, eventually, reinstall a Moscow-leaning autocracy in Ukraine.

That the majority of Ukrainians are opposed to this counts little with Putin….and, as the few Russians waving anti-war banners soon discovered, it not smart to voice any opposition within Russia to Putin’s somewhat fanciful line that Ukraine was actually threatening Russia. :lol:

The West are only willing to employ sanctions as a deterrent. Putin is prepared for them….and the West is already showing signs that it’s limited in the pain it’s prepared to suffer on Ukraine’s behalf.

I suspect Ukraine will capitulate within a short few weeks.

I don’t think Putin’s aspirations lie any further into Europe…unless he completely bonkers. Apart from Sweden and Finland, they’re NATO members.
Last edited by newcastle on Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The Ministry of Tourism has decided that any stranded Ukrainian tourists will stay for free in their hotels with the same conditions they had booked.

That’s nice of them….I imagine there will be a lot of pre- booked hotel rooms going begging!
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

You're probably right. Where next after that? My gut feeling is they won't stop there. Putin will want to reinstate other Eastern block nations prior to the break up of the USSR. Is that where we come in?

Seems Trump has got himself in a lot of bother as well and criticising "Sleepy Biden"

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/russia ... nCZpQdiBjN
Last edited by crewmeal on Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

crewmeal wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:38 pm
You're probably right. Where next after that? My gut feeling is they won't stop there. Putin will want to reinstate other Eastern block nations prior to the break up of the USSR. Is that where we come in?
As the former Eastern bloc nations ( perhaps you mean the Warsaw Pact states) are now members of NATO I can’t see him moving physically against them….unless he really has lost the plot.

The same goes for former USSR countries Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia.

In that scenario, one would hope there’s enough sane politicians left in Russia to dissuade him.

He’ll have to content himself with the remaining ragbag of kleptocrats and autocrats to constitute his sphere of influence…….and much good may they do him. It’s difficult to see what kind of stable regime he could maintain in Ukraine….unless, of course, he follows through on his belief that it is, and always was, simply part of Russia and absorbs it completely.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

newcastle wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:40 pm The Ministry of Tourism has decided that any stranded Ukrainian tourists will stay for free in their hotels with the same conditions they had booked.

That’s nice of them….I imagine there will be a lot of pre- booked hotel rooms going begging!
More assistance from Egypt to Ukrainians….

https://egyptianstreets.com/2022/02/25/ ... qxsbQ4yvCk

And the Nile Hospital Hurghada is offering free treatment to any Ukrainians requiring medical assistance.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Love my PE. Here's my April 2020 pandemic emergency issue in the bathroom.

"Unused as yet!

Anyhow, I've been watch Russia Today now called RT or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT_(TV_network)

It's interesting to say the least, it's global and one wonders if it's legal ?
the amount of disinformation and slanted reports are quite fascinating.

What happened to Lord Haw Haw ? "he got hung at Wandsworth..
Cyber wars ? I'm not sure if they are good or bad as yet but that's this modern crazy world we inhabit.

The most sensible world leader at this moment in time seems to be the Ukraine. An ex professional comic
the rest seem all to be unhinged. Why is that ?

That Chi Chi Ping is waiting in the wings to see how the Russian nutter gets on...

Shame that today's Private Eye will be about last week's news.... 8)

Note to self: "change time & date on camera! prat...

Ps: Met Mr Col yesterday, who from Luxor remembers him ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Aaaah…RT.

Always good for a laugh if you’re into “ alternative realities” John Landon is probably a fan :lol:

Today’s assertion that the placement of anti- aircraft batteries in central Kiev constitutes a “ war crime” is fairly typical.

But the older generation of Ruskies lap it up. The younger ones, if they demur, are soon in Siberia.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

I remember Mr Col. Sitting outside his restaurant/bar/coffeeshop (or whatever it was?) on TV Street. A canny while ago I think.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

He was a font of information regarding the ongoing never-ending machinations of Luxor, especially TV street..... 8)

Ps: And a pretty good guitarist at JJ's bar Karnack...
and in the words of Mary Hopkin "those were the days my friend..I thought !....

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

As well as being "a font of information", he was also the "talk of the town" as I recall.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Over 16,000 Ukrainian tourists are currently staying in Red Sea resorts, with the majority of them found in Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh and Marsa Alam. The Ukrainian Chargé d’Affaires in Egypt, Ruslan Nechai, thanked Egypt for extending accommodations for the thousands of Ukrainians who are unable to return to their home country, allowing them to stay in hotels for free.

Although these tourists would not be able to directly fly to Ukraine as long as the country’s airspace is closed, they could travel through the borders of Ukraine’s friendly neighbouring states. The Ukrainian embassy contacted the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) to help organise the return of Ukrainian tourists to these neighbouring countries so they can get back to their families.
According to estimates from the Ukrainian Ministry of Education in 2021, there are 6,000 Egyptians currently living in Ukraine, 3,500 of which are students. The Ukrainian embassy in Cairo is currently coordinating with the Egyptian embassy in Kyiv to bring these Egyptian students home until the war with Russia is resolved.