Tutankhamun’s Tomb

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Tutankhamun’s Tomb

Post by newcastle »

A new exhibition at the Bodleian Library, Oxford, highlights the contribution of Egyptians to the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Tutankhamun’s Tomb

Post by A-Four »

Later this year Petrie Museum at UCL in London will have a similar exhibition to the one in Oxford, which will include a number of the Harry Burton photographs taken during the discovery. Some may remember a number of these photographs were on display at a exhibition of Burton's work in Cambridge a couple of years ago.

I understand that the British Museum are giving the centenary celebrations a no go, I suspect this may have something to do with the embarrassing situation it found itself in during their 75 year anniversary of the great discovery in 1997. A certain item that was on loan to the BM had to be removed and returned to its 'rightful' owner.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Tutankhamun’s Tomb

Post by newcastle »

I was at the Petrie a couple of weeks ago.

There is an exhibition, commencing September, themed around the childhood of Tutankhamun and Egyptian children of his era. I didn’t notice any specific reference to the tomb discovery or Burton’s photos.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2022/feb/new ... dhood-life