At least 41 killed as huge blaze rips through church in Egypt

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

At least 41 killed as huge blaze rips through church in Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

At least 41 killed as huge blaze rips through church in Egypt: Many of victims are feared to be children after building with nursery inside erupted in flames during Sunday service attended by 5,000 worshippers

• Thousands had gathered inside Abu Sifin church in Giza, Egypt this morning
  • Death toll climbing as 30 ambulances rush to Coptic Christian place of worship
  • Pres. El-Sisi: 'I have directed agencies to take necessary measures immediately'
  • There is a nursery inside church, prompting fears many casualties are children

At least 41 worshippers, feared to be mostly children, have been killed after a fire in a church in Egypt where 5,000 people were praying.

Another 45 people are thought to be injured and have been hospitalised in Giza.

The electrical fire broke out as 5,000 worshippers gathered for mass at the Abu Sifin church in the Imbaba neighborhood, causing a stampede, security sources said.

The presence of a nursery inside the church prompted fears most of the dead are children, Reuters reported.

'People were gathering on the third and fourth floor, and we saw smoke coming from the second floor. People rushed to go down the stairs and stared falling on top of each other,' said Yasir Munir, a worshipper at the church.

'Then we heard a bang and sparks and fire coming out of the window,' he said, adding that he and his daughter were on the ground floor and able to escape.

Worshippers had gathered to mark the Feast of the Assumption of Mary, one of the holiest dates in the Christian calendar.

The initial death toll was thought to be 35, with AP reporting the higher number of 41 just before midday.

The number injured is estimated to be between 14 and 45.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Egyptian president El-Sisi wrote on Facebook this morning: 'I have directed all relevant state agencies and institutions to take all necessary measures, immediately, to deal with this incident and its effects and to provide all aspect of healthcare to the injured.

'My sincere condolences to the families of the innocent victims who moved to their Lord's neighbor in a house from his homes where he is worshipped.'

There is a nursery inside the church, prompting fears many of the dead may be children.

An exploded generator is thought to have caused the fire, which then prompted a stampede.

Police said an initial investigation blamed an electrical short-circuit.

The statement said the fire broke out while congregation was underway Sunday morning.

A local news agency reported that the parish priest was also killed in the tragic incident.

Coptic archbishop of London Anba Angaelos tweeted: 'Devastating news of Egypt Church Fire this morning during the Divine Liturgy, with 41 confirmed dead and 45 injured so far.

'Praying repose for the departed, healing for the injured, and comfort for families, friends and the community deeply affected.'

The Greek government also sent out a message of condolences to the fire victims, tweeting after midday: 'Deeply saddened by the tragic loss of life in a fire at a church in Giza, Egypt.

'Our heartfelt condolences to the bereaved families &wishes for a swift recovery to the injured. At this difficult time, Greece stands in full solidarity with our close friends the people and Government of Egypt.'

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rayed.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: At least 41 killed as huge blaze rips through church in Egypt

Post by HEPZIBAH »

(lazily copying my response to this on the L4U Facebook page)

Horrific.
I read a number of reports about this dreadful situation earlier.
One of the things I don't understand is how the government (?) can immediately, (almost before the flames are extinguished or so it would seem, and certainly before any investigation into the whole incident can be carried out,) be announcing payouts to the victims and their families.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley