Aswan Open Water Swimming Championship

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Aswan Open Water Swimming Championship

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Aswan Open Water Swimming Championship return after 40-year-hiatus

Article copied from Egypt Independent October 5, 2022

After a 40-year hiatus since the last swimming championship in the Nile, the “Aswan Open Water Swimming Championship” has returned to Egypt at the tourist walkway in the New Aswan City Corniche.

Aswan Governor Ashraf Attia welcomed the holding of this important tournament in Aswan, praising the location of the tournament for its distinctive charm.

The “Aswan Open Water Swimming Championship” is held under the auspices of Aswan governor and the supervision and organization of the Egyptian Swimming Federation in coordination with Aswan University’s Faculty of Physical Education, and the Directorate of Youth and Sports in Aswan.

Participants are in the age group of 14 years old and older.

The Egyptian Swimming Federation will organize a ceremony in the evening at the Roman Theater, New Aswan City, to honor the champions of the tournament.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Re: Aswan Open Water Swimming Championship

Post by Teddyboy »

Which surely begs the question, "Where is New Aswan City?"
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

About five miles north of Asswan is the so called New Asswan City Bridge, well I don't know about new, it was built about twenty years ago, but the idea was to create a brand new suburb, initially for students and the modern university of the city.

As I'm sure most people who know Asswan, realise it has little agricultural land whether it be the East or West Bank, however the West Bank has become a very popular residential district for young people who dislike the old city.

When the idea of the new bridge was dreamt up by Mubarck, it was seen as a white-elephant, being that there are two other bridges to the nearby south of the city. I suspect the real reason for the success of the new suburb, is that any developer wanting to build in the old city, had to wait for the land to be archaeologically checked first, any slight item found could delay the new building work to begin for years.

I have never been to this new district myself, though about three miles to the south (West Bank) is a huge granite quarry I knew, that has more than just one broken obolisk.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

Thank you A-Four.
I think that the quarry you mention is the one where I fell from height from a camel; not a good experience! The cameleers (and my youngest daughter!) thought is was a hoot, as I lay there moaning.