Was I right or Was I right.............

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Was I right or Was I right.............

Post by Who2 »

As I stated it ain't over yet.....

I underestimated the numbers of Chinese entering the UK, seems that is 14,000
possibly infected covid visitors per week, that's 62,000 this month alone....

That's the population of Milton Keynes when first constructed.

I'll bet that there is not many people travelling in the opposite direction unless they have a death-wish....

'Just saying.... 8)

Ps: "Travelers from China will be required to present a negative COVID-19 test prior to travel"
Small point ! 'the Chinese are world leaders in forgery.....

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Re: Was I right or Was I right.............

Post by crewmeal »

All the more reason to keep away from Bicester Village shopping outlet where most of the Chinese go for shopping these days.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

"where most of the Chinese go for shopping these days."

Mind, that's a long way for the Newcastle Chinese to travel!
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Earlier this week, for the first time, I unfortunately caught the dreaded Covid. I did have the so called booster injection way back in October, but I was warned then that it would NOT protect me from the sub-variant B.A 4 or 5, so I continued to protect myself as much as possible. My symtoms are similar to a bad cold, though I am told it effects others in different ways, depending on the general health of each individual. I was shocked to discover that The national pharmacy in the U.K. Boots, are charging almost £10 for a five pack Rapid Test, so God only knows how many people are going around with the present variant, let alone those who did not get a booster for the old one.

In the early days of this pandemic,I wrote on here on Saturday February 8th, 2020, that my belief was that this whole thing started off in a place I have visited a few times at a place called Wuhan in China. When the government there thought the problem was over, they recently allowed the so called Wet Markets to re-open. I understand that their new variant is called B.B.1-1-5.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

A-Four wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:13 pm I was shocked to discover that The national pharmacy in the U.K. Boots, are charging almost £10 for a five pack Rapid Test, so God only knows how many people are going around with the present variant, let alone those who did not get a booster for the old one.
I sympathise with anyone who has, or has had, Covid no matter which strain. Alas, even an apparent mild case can lead to some dreadful after conditions.

When you state 'The national pharmacy in the U.K. Boots' I am not sure if you are inferring that Boots are the National Pharmacy - as in state/government supported/promoted - which they are not, or if you are are saying that Boots is a UK company, which I believe they still are. Either way, the price you have quoted that they charge for pack of Five Lateral Flow Tests is in line with the prices charged at other leading pharmacies e.g. LLoyds, across the country.

Unfortunately, although I accept that the LFT's were helpful in indicating the presence of Covid and thus a useful part of the ammunition in fighting the disease, they were by no means 100% accurate. Nevertheless, a year ago if you tested positive you were strongly advised - nay instructed - by the government, to stay in and isolate. Now, even if you do test positive to Covid, there is (mild) advice to isolate as much as possible, yet at the same time it's OK to go out and about, use public transport, go to work etc.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

For many who read this forum, they do not live or have ever visited the U.K., for this reason I have written as I have. In many parts of the world, especially the third world they have what is known as State pharmacists, where prescription and non prescription items are a set price nationwide.

With the situation of Boots in the U.K., it's the nearest thing to a State pharmacist, however, when it comes to non prescription items, these are very expensive compared to similar outlet store such as Superdrug.

With reference to the company Boots, which originally was the famous Boots of Nottingham, where much of their profits went back into research have long gone. The present owners is an American for profits only company, where many of the Boots staff in the U.K. are on short term contracts, with a 12 hour per week guarantee wage, and I do mean for the actual pharmacist themselves. The present owners put the whole Boots company up for sale over a year ago,........there have been no takers, to my knowledge.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

A-Four wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:35 pm
With the situation of Boots in the U.K., it's the nearest thing to a State pharmacist, however, when it comes to non prescription items, these are very expensive compared to similar outlet store such as Superdrug.
Actually, the Lateral Flow Tests are in the same 'ballpark' price at Boots, Lloyds, and Superdrug. I've not checked the Drugs Tarfif pages, but even the different named brands in the various pharmacies are charged at very similar prices.
-Aldous Huxley
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

During the past few weeks, I have been travelling through Central Europe. At various places I was able to obtain tests from various pharmacists, so that I was able to check daily. On return to the U.K., I discovered that I was paying double the price for this same product,........a simple mass produced item.

It is obvious that there is a cartel agreement throughout the U.K., to charge maximum for a much required test.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

"It is obvious that there is a cartel agreement throughout the U.K., to charge maximum for a much required test."
You could probably miss out the last 4 words there, A-Four.

Boots, being ubiquitous, are as recognisable as a State Pharmacy as you'll get in a non-communist country, I should imagine. The level of service they offer (in my experience) would certainly equal that of most State run businesses which I've come across, as well! (i.e. Dragging the depths!)
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

A-Four wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:01 am
It is obvious that there is a cartel agreement throughout the U.K., to charge maximum for a much required test.
If that is the case, then surely the 'cartel' are the manufacturers of this product and not the customer facing pharmacies on the high street.

I'm also not convinced it's good to compare the over the counter price between the UK and other country. Each government set up their demands for use, and distribution of the tests, with different goal posts, even though the ultimate goal was the same. Let's face it. in the UK we were given them for free, and some people still are, for a long time. Other countries imposed charges throughout the need of use.
-Aldous Huxley
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

A-Four wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:01 am On return to the U.K., I discovered that I was paying double the price for this same product
That is two thirds of what you would pay in Denmark. :ct
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

We go to our General Hospital, it's free!