Wokism

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Wokism

Post by hatusu »

I studied "The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck for A level in the 60's. How would today's teenagers cope with studying this kind of book? What literature do they study nowadays that won't upset them? (Genuine question.....)
(Mind you I still cry when I watch Dumbo twining trunks with his mummy in prison - there should definitely be a trigger warning for that)

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Re: Wokism

Post by John Landon »

I was just thinking about this the other day.
Woke used to have some meaning, and now the Ultra Woke are scaring the crap out of me.

I hope that one day we will look back on all of this and realise what a bad time it was in our society, and we will never go down that route again.

All these devolved governments in the UK and even the Mayor of London are all subscribing to these minorities and achieving what they consider as quick wins. but in my opinion all they are doing is eroding democracy and making truth a taboo subject.

lets take the Scottish parliament for example. they now say that CHILDREN of 16 can now identify as a different gender legally.
Just one week later, a man is on remand for raping 2 women but "transformed" into a female and as such was held on remand in a woman's prison !
Now the Scottish government decided that was not a good idea and he/she or whatever must now serve his / her sentence in a male prison.

how long before she / he raises an appeal against that decision based on the fact that he / she had the right to transform and change his / her gender leagally ?

LOOK, its called Gender dysmorphia, a well known phycological condition which requires treatment.
is it easier just to pander to this minority and let he become she and vice versa or treat them for this condition ?
Though now it seems, this movement want to make the treatment against the law because it violates their rights.

Beam me up Scotty... Scotty !!