Hurghada airport liquid restrictions?

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Annie

Hurghada airport liquid restrictions?

Post by Annie »

Are there any restrictions on the size of liquids in hand luggage? I'm only taking hand luggage....Last time I flew I had half bottle of sun lotion taken off me at Gatwick because the bottle was larger than 100ml. If I buy perfume or alcohol either on board the flight into Hurghada or in duty free and want to return back to the UK with it, can I take it back through security at Hurghada airport in my hand luggage? I don't recall security checking liquids last time I was there. Would you not bother just in case. I've had nail scissors taken off me at Hurghada before now even though they were ok to take onboard flight out of Gatwick!

Trust & Respect are two things you must earn
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: Hurghada airport liquid restrictions?

Post by HEPZIBAH »

From memory:
I thought that when buying Duty Free Liquids in the UK they were supposed to put the item in a sealed bag along with the receipt. They can only sell to the limit of whatever is permitted to be admitted to your destination country. That should mean that as long as the seal isn't broken you should be able to take it with you into Egypt.
If you open the bottle whilst away, you can bring it back into the UK with you, as long as it fits the 'not more than 100ml' bottle size and is in a clear bag along with all other liquids and gels for security check. It should then be considered as 'personal use' so long as you haven't bought loads and exceeded the personal allowance to bring back into the UK.

The UK allowances are available on the UK government website or Gatwick website.

As I said, this is from memory so I could well be wrong and/or things have been updated since I last bought any DF.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Billy_whiz

Post by Billy_whiz »

I don't think they seal the carrier bag any longer, at least for the last couple of years they haven't. If any of your liquids are over the 100ml size limit then you would end up losing them when going through the airport on your return journey. May be best to buy smaller bottles this time. Another option, when travelling back to the UK you often walk through a small duty free shop after going through customs, before going outside into the main hall, so could buy perfume etc there.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Just a thought...I seem to think that you can/used to be able to order duty free to pick up at your home airport. Might be worth looking at the Gatwick website for information.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley