The burial of Nefertiti ?

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: The burial of Nefertiti ?

Post by newcastle »

It's beginning to look promising in KV62

Antiquities minister Mamdouh Eldamaty announced on Monday that the first examinations carried out by himself and British archeologist Nicholas Reeves in Luxor on Tutankhamun's tomb have revealed that the tomb's northern and western walls both hide chambers.

There are scratching and markings on both walls like those found on the entrance gate of Tutankhamun's tomb when it was discovered in 1922, Eldamaty explained.

"This indicates that the western and northern walls of Tutankhamun's tomb could hide two burial chambers," Eldamaty told Ahram Online.

Nicholas Reeves said their investigations showed the tomb's ceiling extends behind the northern and western walls. He is now almost convinced his theory suggesting the existence of two undiscovered chambers is correct.

"After our first examination of the walls we can do nothing more until we receive the all-clear from the radar device to confirm the our findings," Reeves told Ahram Online.

Eldamaty has promised that on 4 November, the same day Tutankhamun's tomb was discovered, the radar results of scans on the two walls will be announced.

Reeves believes the northern wall painting in Tutankhamun's tomb depicts the boy king completing a death ritual for queen Nefertiti. Mainstream scholarship says the painting shows king Ay doing the ritual for Tutankhamun. Now studies of wall paintings in the tombs of Ay and Tutankhamun will test Reeves' theory.

In August Reeves published a paper suggesting the western and northern painted walls of Tutankhamun's tomb have secret passageways leading to two chambers, one of them containing the remains of Nefertiti — queen of Egypt and the chief consort and wife of the monotheistic King Akhenaten, Tutankhamun's father.

At the footsteps of Tutankhamun's tomb Reeves enthusiastically told Ahram Online that although they must wait for the radar results, they were able to look for other features not present in the digital photos he had been using.

The photos were taken by art organization Factume in order to reconstruct a replica tomb of Tutankhamun. They found several such features; the extended ceiling, the traces of two doorways and royal stamps.

"I am pretty sure that a very important discovery is to be made soon inside Tutankahmn's tomb," Reeves confirmed.

Eldamaty told Ahram Online he now thinks it very likely there are hidden chambers, but disagrees with Reeves when he says they could house the crypt of queen Nefertiti.

Eldamaty believes she will have been buried in Tel Al-Amaran, the ancient capital of Akhenaten's kingdom.

"I am very enthusiastic about this work and I'm sure something is going to be discovered behind those two controversial walls," Eldamaty said.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... mun-t.aspx

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

A-Four wrote:
Frater0082 wrote:
Bullet Magnet wrote:My own theory does not involve radar and knocking down walls.. :cg
There is another way in getting into that tomb another entrance somewhere I just know it.
'You would not, for one single moment here Frater, be suggesting an entrance from a 'family' tomb in the Western Valley,..................would you?
The reason why Reeves looks to the Western wall of this tomb is because of the Western Valley link, that more than likely is with a well known tomb in that valley. A passage way is more than likely, and another chamber more than likely still, where the once previous occupant of K.V. 62 more than possible was previously buried, then again we should remember, that if Hatshepsut had the know how to build such an elaborate tomb and tunnel for her favourite minister, almost anything could be possible at the end of the 18th Dynasty.

I do not think that he will find anything through the Northern wall, unless he want to have a look at the sons of Ramassis 11, which is quite near at this depth.

The trouble here is, if Reeves finds something, and I trust and hope he will. Then starts the legal rights of simple copy rights of a book, that believe it or not is so difficult these days, let alone getting any publicity for his discovery.

With regards joe public getting a taste of any such find could take as long as ten years. For me Reeves is a good man, his time at Eton Collegue proves this, always approachable, in many ways a John Romer of the modern day, who although highly educated, can talk and teach to the common man without being lost by the General public. I do worry that with today's modern politics in Egypt, there may be trouble ahead.

I, like I am sure all of this forum would agree, I wish him the best of success, and perhaps maybe a new dawn for tourism in Luxor.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

The Prat in the Hat must be foaming at the mouth that he cannot be there!
Carpe diem! :le:
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Winged Isis wrote:The Prat in the Hat must be foaming at the mouth that he cannot be there!
Not sure if it's just being there W.I., now he's no longer running the system, he can not obtain the publicity to tour the world, making a fortune again with his lectures. If Reeves manages to be able to write the book, which of course would be an international best seller, Hawass would have insisted on writing the introduction, and charging massive royalties, as in the past.
Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Frater0082 »

Hawass is the modern day Ay if you ask me he thinks he runs the entire country.

Speaking of Ay i imagine how the tomb must have been before Tut was buried. Supposed this alleged tomb was made for Nefertiti but she's not in there. We are missing the mummies of nearly all of Tutankhamun's relatives. Supposed someone else is buried there like Smenkhare.

Did anyone care to notice that no grave goods are found for this guy. Not even a trace of a burial was found in the Amarna Tombs, were could he be?

I wish Reeves best of luck in finding something
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Bernard Adams has posted a blog at http://egyptmyluxor.weebly.com/tutankha ... rooms.html. He was at KV62 when Nicholas Reeves inspected it this week.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Well done Bernard.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

What we have to understand about this tomb is that when it was discovered, the chamber where Tutankhamen body laid, was in a separate walled-up chamber, Carter knew this only because of the position of the two guardian statues, he then cut a hole, without the authorities knowledge, that can be clearly seen from the basket position in that classic picture of the fully decorated wall before it was removed, and now lost.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Brian Yare wrote:Bernard Adams has posted a blog at http://egyptmyluxor.weebly.com/tutankha ... rooms.html. He was at KV62 when Nicholas Reeves inspected it this week.
It's so easy for people such as me to simply like your post here Brian, but thank you very much for your post, as at the moment I am very busy,.........and therefore most grateful to you. :wi .
Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Frater0082 »

Astounding. Looking at the east wall you could clearly see an imprint of a doorway.

Could it be possible that the tomb was opened up after Tut's death the. Repainted....nah I don't think so.

You know if this turns out to be the tomb of Nefertiti one has to wonder why would Tut be buried next to someone who is suspected not be his mother. My answer is that she is his mother and Tutankhamun is the seventh child of Akhenaten and Neferneferuaten-Nefertiti(Nebetah)

There are a lot of questions still needed to be answered like how did Sety know where Tutankhamun was buried when only a few knew of his whereabouts. I heard that Maya had the whereabouts and knowledge of the tomb destroyed unless. Horemheb passed on the knowledge of the the valley of the kings to his successors which is very likely because each king almost if not immediately starts on thier burial like my dear Sety who already was halfway done with his tomb before the birth of Ramses II in the beginning of his reign .

I knew for a fact that Sety had inspected the valley and for sure moved the body of Akhenaten to another location which is kv55. Again it was the Rammesides Pacifically Sety who attempted to erase the Amarna family from history. II don't think Horemheb would do such a thing to a family that had bestowed him great honors especially within the reign of Tutankhamun where he is called "Crowned Prince" which to me argues that Horemheb was co-regent under Tutankhamun and Ay. Which also to me suggests that his reign was conjoined with the to latter kings..I know its a stretch to say this but granted from the given data and the comparison of Sety's reign and successes he did not reign for that long.

Horemheb is suggested to ruling for 14 years
Sety is said to have reigned for 11 years
Sety had four children
Horemheb had none
Sety completed his tomb
Horemheb did not

Tutankhamun(10) + Ay (4)=Horemheb(14)
Horemheb= 4 years one month
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Seriously Frater I think you would benefit greatly from a visit to Luxor to help you discover more real knowledge of the King's Valley. Most modern day books on this subject only tend to glorify and set wonderment amongst it's readers.

For example like the tomb of Yuya and Tuya, K.V. 62 were built for minor royals, and therefore built on the 'street level'. By the time Horemheb came to power, it was obvious that flash floods in the valley had become a real problem for these such small tombs, which brought down tonnes of loose shale with the water, that once baked by the sun set like concrete. The Valley floor was much lower at the time of Horemheb, that is why it is generally accepted that these tombs have not been discovered until modern time.

If we look carefully at the tomb of Horemheb, we learn quite a lot. For example whether he was in power for fourteen or the official period which is twenty eight, it was built as a royal tomb. We find a flood well within the tomb. In the tomb itself we find that on one major wall a judgement scene and on the left wall in a side chamber a beautiful depiction of Osiris, which are unique in a royal tomb, for such a person, who while alive was a living god, and therefore such a judgement was irrelevant.

We learn also that this king was disliked by the people towards the end of his reign. If you look very carefully at the tomb chamber it is quite easy to detect that there were cutters, plasterers, grid drawers, tracers, painters, and artist all working at the same time, probably as many as thirty men. I believe that the call came down this very deep tomb that the old man was now dead, and they immediately downed tools.

I think we should see Horemheb as a sort Oliver Cromwell (English Civil War) character, who brought about stability in troubled times,..........but alas, hung around too long.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

More or less incontrovertible evidence in the form of wine dockets indicate a reign of at least 14 years for Horemheb. There's a lot of evidence indicating a longer reign, perhaps as much as 30. His extensive building works throughout Egypt would be highly improbable in a reign of 4 years. Perhaps Frater is confusing the arguments against a 30 year reign....which could be explained by combining his actual tenure with those of Akhenaton, Tutankhamun and Ay.

His tomb, KV57, is one of my favourites though rarely open in recent years. The unfinished burial chamber is a bit of a mystery and I'm not sure the workers would have downed tools out of spite. Surely Horemheb's successor would have had something to say about that!

They even left building rubble in place for the interment.

There's an extensive description of the tomb on www.osirisnet.net which I can recommend to anyone interested in this tomb.
Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Frater0082 »

A-Four wrote:Seriously Frater I think you would benefit greatly from a visit to Luxor to help you discover more real knowledge of the King's Valley. Most modern day books on this subject only tend to glorify and set wonderment amongst it's readers.

For example like the tomb of Yuya and Tuya, K.V. 62 were built for minor royals, and therefore built on the 'street level'. By the time Horemheb came to power, it was obvious that flash floods in the valley had become a real problem for these such small tombs, which brought down tonnes of loose shale with the water, that once baked by the sun set like concrete. The Valley floor was much lower at the time of Horemheb, that is why it is generally accepted that these tombs have not been discovered until modern time.

If we look carefully at the tomb of Horemheb, we learn quite a lot. For example whether he was in power for fourteen or the official period which is twenty eight, it was built as a royal tomb. We find a flood well within the tomb. In the tomb itself we find that on one major wall a judgement scene and on the left wall in a side chamber a beautiful depiction of Osiris, which are unique in a royal tomb, for such a person, who while alive was a living god, and therefore such a judgement was irrelevant.

We learn also that this king was disliked by the people towards the end of his reign. If you look very carefully at the tomb chamber it is quite easy to detect that there were cutters, plasterers, grid drawers, tracers, painters, and artist all working at the same time, probably as many as thirty men. I believe that the call came down this very deep tomb that the old man was now dead, and they immediately downed tools.

I think we should see Horemheb as a sort Oliver Cromwell (English Civil War) character, who brought about stability in troubled times,..........but alas, hung around too long.
I dont read any books but I do want to come to Egypt. Perhaps somewhere in the middle of my career I will come and I would not mind if any of you be my tour guide. But I'm afraid of Isis though very afraid.
Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Frater0082 »

newcastle wrote:More or less incontrovertible evidence in the form of wine dockets indicate a reign of at least 14 years for Horemheb. There's a lot of evidence indicating a longer reign, perhaps as much as 30. His extensive building works throughout Egypt would be highly improbable in a reign of 4 years. Perhaps Frater is confusing the arguments against a 30 year reign....which could be explained by combining his actual tenure with those of Akhenaton, Tutankhamun and Ay.

His tomb, KV57, is one of my favourites though rarely open in recent years. The unfinished burial chamber is a bit of a mystery and I'm not sure the workers would have downed tools out of spite. Surely Horemheb's successor would have had something to say about that!

They even left building rubble in place for the interment.

There's an extensive description of the tomb on http://www.osirisnet.net which I can recommend to anyone interested in this tomb.
It is quite mysterious isn't it. It looks someone did In. Reverse what he did to the Amarna family. He might have kissed some one off who knows.

His body is missing too which surprises me

I wonder about this king
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I'm more interested in where old Nick is lunching he's off my radar.
I hear there is a bit of a meeting this Friday somewhere, bet Berni knows... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Frater0082 »

Who2 wrote:I'm more interested in where old Nick is lunching he's off my radar.
I hear there is a bit of a meeting this Friday somewhere, bet Berni knows... :cool:
Me too I hope that they do find something but Nefertiti I doubt it. But I will follow this all the way through, after all I have to.

I just want to say I truly enjoy talking to you guys.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Who2 wrote:I'm more interested in where old Nick is lunching he's off my radar.
I think it is in Cairo. I read about it on the EEF list.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

According to that Bernard Adams blog, he believes that the test by the Japanese will be done in the next few months.

Well it seems to me it will be quicker than that, they arrive very soon, and we now hear that Mamdouh Eldamaty, Minister of Antiquities has said that the results will be released to the worlds press on the same day as KV 62 was first discovered which was on 4th November.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

The press conference is tomorrow, in Cairo:

* Ministry of Antiquities
Press Office
-------------------------------
Invitation
-------------------------------
An international press conference is to be held by Antiquities Minister Dr. Mamdouh Eldamaty and the British Scientist Nicholas Reeves at the State Information Service (Salah Salem Area) at 9:00 a.m, Thursday October 1st 2015. The conference aims at declaring the results of the initial examination works performed inside the tomb of King Tut Ankh Amun in the past two days as an attempt to prove the validity of Reeves' late hypothesis, presuming that Qween Nefertity is buried inside one of the side chambers of King Tut's Tomb at the Valley of the Kings – Luxor.
Please attend for press coverage at 9:00 a.m, Thursday October 1st – The State Information Service (Salah Salem).
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

IT'S A QUEEN - BUT NOT THE ONE WE THINK

Jeff Burzacott September 30, 2015
The Antiquities Minister believes there ARE hidden chambers behind the walls of Tutankhamun's tomb. But it's not Nefertiti buried there. It's another queen.

(Click on each image to enlarge)

This week saw British Egyptologist, Nicholas Reeves, along with officials from the Ministry of Antiquities, examine Tutankhamun's burial chamber to investigate Reeves' theory. Dr. Reeves is convinced that the final resting place of Queen Nefertiti lies hidden behind a false wall in Tutankhamun's tomb, however the Antiquities Minister, Mamdouh el-Damaty, thinks it may be the boy-king's mother, Kiya.
The story so far: High-resolution laser scans were made a few years ago by Factum Arte, a team of conservators who built a replica of Tutankahmun's tomb near the entrance of the Valley of the Kings. Generously, they posted all of their data online. Because they scanned the walls in 3-D, they also produced versions without the tomb decorations. For the first time, the bare burial chamber's walls could be examined in great detail. It was in these scans that Dr. Reeves noticed traces of what could be the outlines of concealed doors...............

A press conference is being held tomorrow
to formally announce this week's findings and the proposed next step.

Ground penetrating radar equipment is being summoned from Japan to test for the presence of cavities behind the northern and western walls of the tomb. That should be happening during November sometime. And if there IS evidence of hidden rooms? Well that's when it gets really challenging because the proposed northern doorway is covered by a priceless wall painting.

The last word goes to the man who started this latest wave of "Tutmania", Nicholas Reeves: "I'm pretty sure that a very important discovery is to be made soon inside Tutankhamun's tomb

http://www.nilemagazine.com.au/2015-sep ... e-we-think