Egypt to require visitors to provide PCR coronavirus test certificate: official.

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egypt to require visitors to provide PCR coronavirus test certificate: official.

Post by DJKeefy »

Egyptian Minister of Civil Aviation Mohamed Manar Enabah on Sunday said that once international travel resumes, Egyptian authorities will require more stringent procedures for visitors from countries in which coronavirus is still spreading.

During a phone call with the al-Mehwar satellite channel, Enabah added that in order to ensure that passengers coming to Egypt from a country where the coronavirus is spreading are free from infection, each passenger will be required to provide a PCR coronavirus test certificate certifying that they are not infected with the virus.

“Those who come from countries where the pandemic is spreading will not get on the plane, unless PCR analysis proves that they are free of the disease,” he added.

Enabah also mentioned that this might also be the case for Egyptian travelers, as other countries may request PCR analysis if the disease spreads widely in Egypt, which has not happened yet.

“Our rates, thank God, are less than outbreak rates,” he said. “So far, Egyptians have not been required to carry this type of certificate when traveling to another country.”

The Egyptian Ministry of Aviation on Sunday announced the reopening of all Egyptian airports as of July 1, after all regular flights were suspended in March.

The Egyptian Red Sea resort City of Hurghada will receive on July 4 the first foreign tourist flight from Belarus, according to talks between the two tourism ministers of Egypt, Belarus and the Red Sea Tourism Investors Association.

Egypt suspended tourism in March as part of measures to combat the spread of coronavirus. Tourism is a vital sector in Egypt, accounting for about 12 percent of Egypt’s gross domestic product.

The tourism sector is also one of the economic sectors that has been most severely impacted by the coronavirus outbreak.

Source: https://egyptindependent.com/egypt-to-r ... -official/

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Egypt to require visitors to provide PCR coronavirus test certificate: official.

Post by newcastle »

Interesting proposal....although its implementation might prove problematic. :lol:

If Egypt wants tourists to return from, say, UK this is not going to help. Presumably they expect carriers like EasyJet to ensure all the passengers have PCR certificates. I think this would be unacceptable to EasyJet as it would undermine the commercial viability of the flight.

Where, when and at what cost would the tourist get this certificate?

What about those (such as me) who have already paid for a flight?

Is the PCR test readily available in UK if you don’t have symptoms? It’s not entirely reliable and, to have any value, would need to be performed, and the result determined, within 48 hours of the flight. An administrative nightmare.

Of course, Egypt might classify UK as a country where the virus is not spreading and its tourists therefore exempt from these provisions. If they judge UK by their own criteria this should be no problem. :)))

This announcement only makes sense to me if they are solely referring to Egyptair .
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Egypt to require visitors to provide PCR coronavirus test certificate: official.

Post by Who2 »

I just reversed the statement, So where do we pick up their test certificates for their country
and is it insured against catching the virus, pandemic does mean all over the world.... 8)
Ps: I mean if one man shoves his hand in a fire would you ?
Pss: Ever wondered why Egypt is never thought of as Africa ?
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

I find this way of proving you're clear totally inadequate. For starters you could print off your own certificate, there are plenty of templates to choose from on the internet. Secondly, you pick up your certificate at great expense from wherever one day, fly out the next day or beyond with said certificate. What's to stop you catching the virus enroute to Egypt?

One way would be to interview and test everyone at the port of entry. If they're positive then contact them by phone.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

One way would be to interview and test everyone at the port of entry. If they're positive then contact them by phone.
Well...that would be more practicable than the proposal to make everyone coming obtain a certificate before boarding.

Problem is.....would anyone come knowing they might be forcibly quarantined if they test positive on arrival?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The following, extracted from Al Ahram, is a little more hopeful if you’re travelling from UK

Travellers are required to sign a declaration prior to receiving their boarding passes at airports outside Egypt certifying that they are not infected with Covid-19 and that they are personally responsible for informing Egyptian officials if they begin to show any signs of illness during their travel.

Travellers arriving from countries where the outbreak is contained will only have to have their temperatures checked on arrival at Egyptian airports, which have been outfitted with thermal screening gates.

Travellers arriving from countries with high infection rates, according to the WHO, will need to submit a PCR test result for the coronavirus 48 hours before travelling.
http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... open-.aspx

Only travellers from countries with high infection rates will need a PCR test. The rest can simply sign a declaration and submit to having their temperature taken on arrival.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Quote: 'countries with high infection rates...
So that would no doubt include the UK, then which figures do we use the governments or the true figure ?

Anyhow I reckon the virus hasn't yet hit Africa big time. And why don't we hear much about
the world's' refugee camps, one wonders why ?

Oh! yes the ignorant masses here and (there's a lot of them) don't seem to be wearing masks in enclosed spaces and they are available and cheap.
Bit like the masses trying to overcome racially held views for 100 of years
aiming for peace and equality amongst us humans.
The masses are usually driven by thinkers the ignorant masses just follow like sheep.
Everyone should read the history of the London Mob.

The plane and getting from one place to another, takes some serious consideration and
being honest, the UK does have the most amazing and tempting selection of gastronomic delights.

Plus the pubs open in 3 weeks time and the sun shines,
Abroad holds no attraction to me at the current time.... 8)

Ps: 'just saying...
https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals ... D2D269627D
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Quote: 'countries with high infection rates...
So that would no doubt include the UK......
I don’t think so.

Although we’ve had a lot of infections - and deaths - the rate of new infections is decreasing and this is what’s important. The virus is under control in the U.K. and much of Europe. If it remains so I expect tourists to be welcome in Egypt....with a simple statement that they are, as far as they know, virus- free.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities has produced comprehensive regulations governing hotels, historic sites and requirements for travellers arriving from abroad. The regulations extend to several pages but I have copied the pre-travel Precautionary Measures:
541D6A9E-3DAA-4A03-ADEF-BF98400384FF.jpeg
I can’t see how airlines such as EasyJet will cope with these requirements. They’ll probably give up on Egypt as a destination leaving the field to EgyptAir
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blacksheep
Egypt

Post by Blacksheep »

The PDF self declaration requires proof of medical insurance.
I'm sure a lot of residents and ex Pat's have this extortionately priced request...not! They really do deserve us tourists and residents that invest in Egypt dont they?Making it very hard to enter and boost their economy!
Is this an official document or is it another plan of prospective unsure bullcrap?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Blacksheep wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:42 pm The PDF self declaration requires proof of medical insurance.
I'm sure a lot of residents and ex Pat's have this extortionately priced request...not! They really do deserve us tourists and residents that invest in Egypt dont they?Making it very hard to enter and boost their economy!
Is this an official document or is it another plan of prospective unsure bullcrap?
It’s official alright......but whether it’s eventually implemented, we’ll see.

Blacksheep
Egypt

Post by Blacksheep »

Any "medical insurance" they are requesting on the form is VOID until the FCO change their advice.Wonder if they are aware of this for their first passengers in July?Also the Corona test with a 48hr result? It's a joke
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

The PDF self declaration requires proof of medical insurance.
If you booked a holiday, trip or whatever your insurance will cover you BEFORE the outbreak. However it won't cover you if you booked during or after any virus infection. That's what my NatWest insurance said.

I booked my trip back in Feb so I'll be fine. But I'm not going now.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Well if one cannot trust the UK death figures, How the hell can anyone trust the Egyptian CV10 figures.
Go figure!...this from today's Gruaniad.... 8)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... id-19-peak

Ps: Quote "The virus is under control in the U.K.........."really ha! said: a government spokesperson ?
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:42 am Well if one cannot trust the UK death figures, How the hell can anyone trust the Egyptian CV10 figures.
Go figure!...this from today's Gruaniad.... 8)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... id-19-peak

Ps: Quote "The virus is under control in the U.K.........."really ha! said: a government spokesperson ?
Yes...the way they were counting deaths back in April underestimated the effect of the virus. The Guardian is, on this point , going over old ground in its campaign to undermine the government’s record. The discrepancies were widely commented on back in April.

The methodology was subsequently changed so as to record all deaths, in all environments, with or without a test. I’ve no reason to doubt the current figures....and that they show a regular decline in deaths/ infections.

Whether the Egyptian figures bear any resemblance to reality is another matter.....
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Interesting promotional video on how Egypt is preparing for the hordes of tourists itching to visit

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Perhaps someone should tell the police. Went over yesterday to the east bank, the police at the check points were not wearing masks and certainly not bothering anyone traveling not wearing one.
Passed by lots of police vans, the ones with the benches in the back, not one policeman in any of those vans had a mask on.
There are benches outside the banks with little stickers on them to show where to sit whilst maintaining social distancing, problem was everyone kept moving them so they could all sit down.
I know its not funny but it is so Egyptian I had to smile.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:21 pm
I know its not funny but it is so Egyptian I had to smile.
You mean like this....
3948F973-4A0D-4C4D-8666-DCB10926DBC3.jpeg
:)))
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blacksheep
Egypt

Post by Blacksheep »

Not true.No PCR test required.Confirmed today by EgyptAir London office reservations.
Also, flights confirmed Cairo London return for July starting 1st.Only FCO advised only essential travel. I guess it is essential if you are returning to your homes & families either in London or Cairo.
Only 2 flights per week to Luxor, no direct.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Blacksheep wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:49 pm Not true.No PCR test required.Confirmed today by EgyptAir London office reservations.
Also, flights confirmed Cairo London return for July starting 1st.Only FCO advised only essential travel. I guess it is essential if you are returning to your homes & families theither in London or Cairo.
Only 2 flights per week to Luxor, no direct.
A good example of the total chaos in regard to official advice.......although I wouldn’t necessarily rely on Egyptair’s reservation desk.

The FCO advice is clear enough....which means any insurance you have is suspect. That alone should make people wary of travelling to Egypt. Tourists won’t be regarded as “essential travellers”....even those who have holiday homes in Egypt.

The idea of a PCR test is obviously flawed and unworkable.

Of more interest to me is what other airlines are going to do about flying to Egypt.