State of emergency lifted.

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

State of emergency lifted.

Post by Dusak »

I see on the news today that Egypt have announced the lifting of the four year state of emergency decree. Apparently we are now safe from those murdering rascles ISIS.

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: State of emergency lifted.

Post by A-Four »

This really is very good and welcomed news for Egyptian people. Throughout all my time in Egypt the country was under a constant state of emergency, which Mubarak enforced with an iron fist, but it is to the credit to the president today that a kind of freedom is given to the whole nation, including the once trouble spots.

Further to this good news, I understand that Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall will visit Egypt on the 18th and 19th November, they will be greeted by the president and the prince will have discussions with the Grand Imam, Ahmed El-Tayyeb. (A number of WB ex-pats will remember this rather wonderful gentleman.) This meeting may have be arranged as a result of a recent visit by the Archbishop of Canterbury.

The royal visit will include a day in Alexandria, but unfortunately there is no mention about Luxor,......lets hope that this visit opens up tourism to Egypt again.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Written by anyone else, the above post would strike me as a masterpiece of cynical satire!

Anyone who thinks the lifting of the state of emergency will make any difference to the lives of ordinary Egyptians is living in cloud cuckoo land :lol:

As for a visit by Prince Charles stimulating tourism......word fail me. :urm:

Perhaps it’s fitting that our self-proclaimed “defender of faiths” and backward -looking old fogey should meet with Egypt’s bastion of retrograde Islam.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

A-Four wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:49 am Further to this good news, I understand that Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall will visit Egypt on the 18th and 19th November, they will be greeted by the president and the prince will have discussions with the Grand Imam, Ahmed El-Tayyeb. (A number of WB ex-pats will remember this rather wonderful gentleman.)
I heard through the grape vine yesterday that the opening of the Avenue of the Sphinxes was being postponed from 4th November until late in the month (19th or 27th November were whispered. Maybe Charles will come to Luxor?

But for security reasons we are unlikely to know until after the event. :-(
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Brian Yare wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:08 am
A-Four wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:49 am Further to this good news, I understand that Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall will visit Egypt on the 18th and 19th November, they will be greeted by the president and the prince will have discussions with the Grand Imam, Ahmed El-Tayyeb. (A number of WB ex-pats will remember this rather wonderful gentleman.)
I heard through the grape vine yesterday that the opening of the Avenue of the Sphinxes was being postponed from 4th November until late in the month (19th or 27th November were whispered. Maybe Charles will come to Luxor?

But for security reasons we are unlikely to know until after the event. :-(
As the so called opening of the Avenue has been delayed, stopped, ripped up, extended over the last nine years, what's another few days.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

I doubt a bunch of sheep on pedestals will attract the tourists. Here in Wales there's a lot of that going on. 😎
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

John Landon wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:34 am I doubt a bunch of sheep on pedestals will attract the tourists. Here in Wales there's a lot of that going on. 😎

It’s not even as if you could cure your insomnia by counting them....unless you tend to fall asleep after spotting a handful :lol:

I heard they were expecting 80 crowned heads and presidents to attend the opening ceremony. Highly unlikely I’d have thought...unless they expect these busy people to keep their diaries open for half of November while the organisers pick a date.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

This will be a good jolly for the Egyptian perambulator, one false step and its bruised knees and a blooded nose, perfectly flat it's not. But I am told they have a very nice mode of transportation parked up, don't know how its powered, this is Egypt, so probably push mobile.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:17 pm This will be a good jolly for the Egyptian perambulator, one false step and its bruised knees and a blooded nose, perfectly flat it's not. But I am told they have a very nice mode of transportation parked up, don't know how its powered, this is Egypt, so probably push mobile.
I’ve seen some videos of the rehearsals which appear to involve a parade of dancers.

Let’s hope the Egyptian equivalent of St John’s Ambulance are on hand to deal with all the twisted ankles and assorted bruises.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I took a walk along the Avenue today to give an update. The finished section has a secondary road constructed on the pavers. To me it looked like thousands of pallets laid end to end for about 1,000 meters, this has been topped off by what looks like a heavy duty rubber carpet? About a meter wide. . I think that this will be electrified, which if correct, could turn out to be a show on it's own lol. On this track stand three pheronic barges, each on a frame work with wheels that stand around 1.5 meters high with the boats on the top. Maybe large enough for four people. They look quite ridiculous as at each end they have train type buffers which are about two meters long. I saw four massive generators on the roadside ready to power up said track, the many lighting systems and speakers. But, as you get closer to the karnak end, the avenue is in its usual total disrepair state, no way can they correct this before next year. There are many workers going at it like there is no tomorrow, this being Egypt, that may be their end result if it's not done quickly. One good point is that the demolishion of the remainder of the Coptic church has been cancelled. It's been repainted white with the towers and domes in gold, it really looked beautiful in the sunlight. They have also constructed a floating extension to the rear overlooking the Avenue with a smaller extension to the right of that one. Presumably this will be finished to match the existing.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Have faith Dusak!

These things often look horrendous in the cold light of day but , in the dark, with lighting and music, can be quite atmospheric. Remember the pharaoh’s parade in Cairo.

Have a few beers beforehand....you’ll love it! 8)
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Reading through Dusak's latest post above got me thinking.

During Carter's time in the Kings Valley, he borrowed the track and 'buckets' that were previously used in Karnack to clear most of the spoil, afterwards track and 'buckets' were returned to Karnack to finish of the rest of the clearest required there.

On my last visit, I noticed that track and buckets were in a private area slightly to the north of the Karnack complex. I am wondering here if they are using this old Meccano type track, and have converted the bucket wagons into four seater cars, as Dusak seems to be describing. If so the whole thing would be hysterical to watch.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

newcastle wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:20 pm Have faith Dusak!

These things often look horrendous in the cold light of day but , in the dark, with lighting and music, can be quite atmospheric. Remember the pharaoh’s parade in Cairo.

Have a few beers beforehand....you’ll love it! 8)
I think that it would take more than a few beers to get me enamored towards these festivities lol. Not only that, I'm tea total while here. As for A-Fours suggestion, the materials being used look like new.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Re Dusak’s description of the parade paraphernalia....the following photos give you an idea of the delights in store :lol:

I love the OTT boat....mounted on what looks suspiciously like a tea trolley.

Will it cope with the rough terrain?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

newcastle wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:09 pm Re Dusak’s description of the parade paraphernalia....the following photos give you an idea of the delights in store :lol:

I love the OTT boat....mounted on what looks suspiciously like a tea trolley.

Will it cope with the rough terrain?
The photo does not do them justice, these perambulators look even more ridiculous in real life lol.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

There’s a rumour circulating ( how unusual) that the opening parade will only be televised and that there will be no public attendance.

Quite how they will ensure this remains a mystery....although closing down roads for visiting dignitaries is not unknown :lol:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

newcastle wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:00 pm There’s a rumour circulating ( how unusual) that the opening parade will only be televised and that there will be no public attendance.

Quite how they will ensure this remains a mystery....although closing down roads for visiting dignitaries is not unknown :lol:
I did notice the other day that they have surrounded the Temple perimeter walls with high tarpaulin sheets. The other 3 points of entry along the walk have also been barricaded. In Egypt an AK47 is a good incentive to stay clear of a anything lol.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

I've been told that people who live along the route have been instructed to move out and back to their families for the duration of the festivities. A second source suggested that they have only been told to keep all windows and doors tightly closed. Time will tell.
Thanks for the pictures, newcastle. That actually IS a tea trolley, methinks.
The testing of the lasers seems to be going on right through the hours of darkness! I was awake at about 3.45 this morning, and they were still on. (They're plainly visible from our flat for about one and a half or two kilometres.) They'll be worn out before the opening!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Come to think of it.....presumably the tea trolley will be abandoned and the boats carried by muscular Egyptian “ priests”....suitably bald for the occasion. A veritable homoerotic feast.

Alas....unwitnessed :cry:

Keeping the hoi polloi at bay is going to be quite a struggle.....worth a trip to Luxor for that alone :lol:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

newcastle wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:29 pm Come to think of it.....presumably the tea trolley will be abandoned and the boats carried by muscular Egyptian “ priests”....suitably bald for the occasion. A veritable homoerotic feast.

Alas....unwitnessed :cry:

Keeping the hoi polloi at bay is going to be quite a struggle.....worth a trip to Luxor for that alone :lol:
If your interested I do know the way into the heart of the upcoming extravaganza via the Coptic churches underground crypt tunnels. It's a dead cert that the incursion would be a success as there will only be a skeleton staff on duty that night.