Charity Begins at Home.

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Charity Begins at Home.

Post by Who2 »

Taking note of charity and betting TV adverts the local rag asked me to do a piece for them.
As I pointed out to it's editor 'Olivier, When I had 4 charities located in my studios 20 years ago there was 174
charities registered in Clerkenwell, which I thought "that's odd! today 740 that's really odd.

It's quite a fascinating study, example: Battersea Dogs home total income last year: £52,713,469.
Total expenditure: £43,603,226.

So income for last year = £9 million 110 thousand', give the odd quid or few.
I bet people leave them houses and land ect in their wills.

I use this site as much as google when I've got the 'bit between my teeth.
https://register-of-charities.charityco ... ils/206394

Pangolins, donkeys, cats, cripples, blind people, tortoises, every animal on Noah's Ark probably.
Not forgetting the woods, buildings, Oh! and the climate...

You can laugh and say many things about charities based in Britain that are also International.
But none of them couldn't Have even begun to operate, without the 'unnatural generosity of people living in Britain.
or British People it's a trait, like loving animals it's a British thing.

I think on the whole charities are a good thing, some are better than others.
Anyhow it's just a 'thought, work in progress.... 8)

Ps: "I know Battersea is not in Clerkenwell is was just an example.....

Pss:The figure quoted for UK charity numbers, including by some recognised charity sector 'authorities', is usually about 165k.

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Charity Begins at Home.

Post by Who2 »

Besides "penny for the guy Mr ? the earliest charity I remember would the The Poppy Appeal, they
had a whole village just outside of Maidstone.
And on 11th day of the 11th hour of the 11th month nearly being my birthday,
I remember.
The Poppy Appeal Total income: £143,114,000. Total expenditure: £160,970,000.
Means that they spent more than they earn't, how's that possible ?..... 8)
Sophocles.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

"Means that they spent more than they earn't, how's that possible ?....."

Just ask anyone who was born in the last 50 or so years, they all seem to have it off to a T!
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

That Save the Donkey sanctuary up to new tricks:
https://win.thedonkeysanctuary.org.uk/? ... NSEALw_wcB

It's gambling without morals, "show us the donkeys! dare you...
"Win a Donkey.... 8)
total annual income for 2020 = £36,962,000 'That's annually folks, like each year....
Nb: There are 531 Donkey Sanctuaries listed, that's a lot o' donkeys in my book.
Sophocles.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

It's interesting the figures here when it comes to charities, over the years when I was in the U.K., l would do voluntary work, quite often in the East End of London where there was, and sad to say there is still great need and help. I was often shocked by a number of these organisations who said a lot, though did little or nothing for the people who really need help, not just at Christmas but throughout the year, but there is one such concurn that really stands out as bad, but raises £millions at this time of year.

Very soon, if it has not already started on U.K. television, will come the advert by the Salvation Army, which year spends over £20,000,000 on its adverts to tell us that if you donate £18, this will go towards taking an homeless person off the streets, or give food hampers to the needy, or help comfort lonely old folks, or even give toys to children who have none,........all this is nonsense .

The Salvation Army has no real homeless persons units. It has a policy that any such person must first apply to the local authority first, to ensure that the council will pay for the persons accommodation and meals. The Whitechapel Mission is known internationally, and often assumed to be part of the Salvation Army, it is not. This organisation is run by the Methodist's, but they neither preach or expect you to be Christian before it opens the door to you, in other words its open to all religious people of what ever faith, or none.

There is no such service by this organisation that delivers food to the needy, there are a few local Salvation Army Citadels that have food banks, a few welcome old lonely people to a Christmas dinner, but this is done on a local level, which quite often is paid for by local collection, and the generosity of good honest local Salvation Army members.

When it comes to children's toys at Christmas, you would be requested to go to one of their charity shops, where you can buy such items at a reasonable price. While on that subject, a few years ago I was in one of their shops when an old lady was attempting to buy a blanket for £3, she only had £2, the assistant said, that's fine, I'll put it away for you until you get the other £1. Of course, like any other person on this forum, I gave the £1, and in exchange received a most wonderful smile,.......well worth it.

If you are tempted to give to this organisation this Christmas, ring them, and say you know a couple of elderly homeless people in the East End of London near you, who need their help this Christmas, see what they say, you may be rather shocked. The Salvation Army's policy on dealing with such needy desperate people is to offer them, 'A hand up, rather than a hand out'. That is the official policy. I hope we all give to charity, and especially at Christmas, but please make a few enquirers before hand.

P.S. - if their T.V. Christmas advert costs over £20,000,000 each year, I'll leave to your imagination as to the PROFIT,.......But do think big.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Say what you want about The Sally Army they cheer me right up on a Sunday morning...
It's like 'Oh! great.. it's Sunday.... 8)
Sophocles.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

My problem with these charities are the middle men, the offices and expense accounts.

My giving is direct, straight to the source of requirement. Be it in goods and or cash.
We often brought clothes and toys and for a certain orphanage in Luxor and would also hand over the cash to trusted people who were involved. Same with the animal charity, where my wife would also donate surgical equipment that would have been binned by the hospital after maybe not even being used, but had been taken out of its packaging in the theatre.

Children in need at one time were saying that kids need your help (money) now ! During their annual fundraising campaign.
That year they had the best part of 90 million in the bank !

My response was, why not give them that money you have stashed away, then come and ask me when those funds are depleted. ... 🤔
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

I've stopped giving to organised charities quite some time ago. When 'charity' shops are offering £10 per hour for part-time weekend staff, then they don't need my hard earned, I'm afraid. On top of that, I'm really really peed off that more and more of them have the effrontery to run lottery ticket thingies. Don't they realise the number of problem gamblers whose families have to use food banks etc. simply because of the gambling habit of the main breadwinner?
If the only way the folk will give is in the hope of getting more back, then it's time to give up.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

In response to A4's post on the Sally Army and viewing this years Xmas TV advert.
Now, many charities only ask for £2 minimum donation.

The Salvation Army ask for a minimum of £19 quid, no messing around there then !

So it seems the Sally Army have many arms, see below:

230791 THE SALVATION ARMY OFFICERS' PENSION FUND......................£12,416,343
115368 THE SALVATION ARMY RETIRED OFFICERS.................................£2,717,089
100056 THE SALVATION ARMY INTERNATIONAL TRUST........................£53,441,000
215174 THE SALVATION ARMY SOCIAL WORK TRUST............................£160,430,000
214779 THE SALVATION ARMY..............................................................£240,607,000

So that's 'sqillions of millions ..............Grand Total............................. £469,611,32. Million. since March 2020.

That's a lot of 'singing for your supper.
Let us hope they help some homeless people this season of 'good cheer ....... 8)

Ps: "sing song merrily on high"
Sophocles.
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

I used to know a gentleman, long dead now, who always used to donate small amounts to the Sally Army, whenever they came round collecting. This was the ONLY charity he would ever donate to. The reason - he was in a POW camp during the war and was treated badly. On being released from the camp the first person who came up to him outside the camp offered him a hard boiled egg. Guess who that was. Even many years after he always said it was the best food he had ever had in his life.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

I'm not one who looks at the far end of such charitable bodies, but I am aware that the Sally Bashers have done a lot of tremendous work over a long period of time, and not only here (there!) in England.
But, whilst to the outsider their main role, ostensively, is to alleviate suffering of whatever kind, in actual fact their main role is to offer the love of God in whichever way the recipient may need it there and then. It is first and foremost an evangelical Christian organisation.
Booth was originally a minister in the (now amalgamated) New Connexion Methodist Church and was stationed in my home village of Windy Nook. He was a very assertive character as well as being very passionate about spreading the gospel. When I was in my teens, an old man of the chapel (who had been brought up by his grandmother) told me that his granny had said many a time that Booth had started the Salvation Army because he couldn't get his own way at Windy Nook!
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Our local Egyptian charity ACE run by the very capable Kim has a patron Martin Clunes.
They should use him more and twist his arm a bit, his Uncle was Jeremy Brett,'Sherlock Holmes!
https://www.facebook.com/aceegyptfan
Ps: 'not a lot of people know that'
Sophocles.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

We were at ACE with a friend's cat on the day of Martin's family visit when he became their patron. A really nice friendly family who really cared for animals. Even got to patch up his daughter after a kitten scratched her in the exam room!

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.