Al-Jazeera

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

TAL777

Al-Jazeera

Post by TAL777 »

Apparently the Qatari broadcaster Al-Jazeera has had its operations 'closed-down' in Egypt since the overthrow of Morsi. Qatar was very supportive of the Morsi Government and still supportive of the MB, in contrast to other Arab states in the region.

This was confirmed by a very biased pro-Morsi discussion on the channel yesterday, in which they spoke of 'democracy' being denied and that this was a coup etc. Of course they didn't mention the fact that the MB weren't involved in the First Revolution, but merely capitalised on the political vacuum that resulted.

Reading between the lines you wonder if Qatar had a strong hand in putting the MB in power in the first place with its billions of gas dollars?

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: Al-Jazeera

Post by Bombay »

Al-Jazeera is still broadcasting here via satellite from Qatar they have a static camera at the pro-Morsi square in Cairo and broadcast it 24hrs.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Just been watching it, I think it is only the Arabic station that has been shut down and that was about 10 days ago. I must admit that the reporting seems very pro-Morsi.
For some reason BBC World is unavailable also this evening.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

I was a little annoyed by the discussion on Aljazeera yesterday - or lack of it! No mention of the new government's plans etc, just ranting about coups, democracy etc from 3 so-called experts. Certainly not a balanced discussion in any way.

Yes - I noticed BBC World was off the air last night too.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I phoned my TV man Mohammed up the other week as all my news stations were fading in and out. He said don't worry as it was due to the high winds blowing the satellite about??? How high are these winds. Problem is, as soon as the winds disappeared, stations came back!
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

No Comment on this, do Al Jezeera show pictures, because they may be made up or wrong, or maybe they do not have comments so we do not get the real picture or hang of things.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

:tk ... :sd ... :ni: ...... :?
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Al Jazeera is owned by the Quataries who are very pro MB perhaps that has something to do with their reporting.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Get Al jezeera perfectly but the other channels keep breaking up, but the posts maybe explain why.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Not just the news channels, but many channels become pixellated, or freeze completely for a few seconds during hot weather - I've noticed it for several years.
Stan
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

The hot weather, cant say I have noticed that Stan but I will pay more attention, is this affecting the receiver on the roof or digital box.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Thinking of your post L in L you may have hit the nail on the head, in the Winter the programs are no problem.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

I would think it's the gizmo on the aerial that is suffering. The room temperature is several degrees cooler than that on the roof, and the dish itself focusses heat on to the gizmo.
Stan
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

The Qatari's have a dog in the Egyptian race and It's Morsi. Remember the earlier Qatari deposits in the Egyptian central bank and the other offers in cash or kind. Some might also remember their extravagant promises of billions in tourist investment on the Mediterranean coast.

The so called liberal Qataris have been jockeying for diplomatic influence against the more conservative and anti-democratic Saudis, Kuwaitis etc. who fear both the brotherhood and democracy in the region. These latter never offered financial assistance to Morsi but now feel more comfortable with the Army and are prepared to sign cheques for them.

A lot of people say that al jazeera is biased in its coverage of the region but this is a bit off given that a lot of its journalists are ex-BBC or other UK media. Its international coverage seems first rate.

Qatar and al Jazeera are likely to become quieter now that the old sheik has handed over to his son and the hyper active foreign minister has been summarily replaced. Seems that Qatar will aim for a lower profile which will be welcome to the conservative countries in the region.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

having seen the BBC coverage after the last revolution I wouldnt say that al jazeera reporters being ex BBC was any recommendation.